Sunday, February 19, 2023

Clean

 Kid,

people are breaking their backs

      for those dollar bills you’re breathing

                                up your nose.


Awake, unaware,

         I stare

out the glassy window screen.


Where have you been?

(Where have you bean?) He quips.


His shoes, unclean,

       boots to bear the brunt

       of a days hard work.


So I stare him up and down like a jerk.


What are you doing at my door?

        I find my insecurity lying on the floor.

Befuddled- begging to ask

        about your falling mask

                             of sobriety.


Why do I? Oh, why do I support your special type of negligence? 

                  It’s been six months since we last spoke…

                                  The ode to muddy boots-

Hey man, here’s a buck if you’re down on your luck.


I’m curious, does he think I don’t know?

                                        I can’t see?

                                       A dusty nose-
                            rail thin- skin and bones.


Boy, when’s the last time you had a decent meal?


I pull you in-

                  for a second

                                      let’s get real.


Have you seen yourself lately?

                                       Tell me, what’s the deal?


Seems to always be

                  - some girl broke your heart.


He takes a bite of broccoli and begins

               to sing his sad love song once again.


Empty plate filled again,

       starving for a future he will never see

                             without the ability

                             to keep his nose