Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Ability to Be There


With wrists that burn with the sorrow
and grief of the word distress.


When will everyone understand?


The only way to break
the tyranny of bloodshed
is to show compassion
when mistreatment moves you to.


When will we stop idling by?


Stop seeing the damage done,
feeling it in our hearts,
and doing nothing to console that one?


We all know that one,
who could really use a friend right now.


Pay attention,
you'll see,
it's your responsibility.


To say a sorry for the lack of benevolence,
makes up for mistreatment
more than you will ever know.


The truth is,
it’s our fear
that stops us
from speaking up.


I’m guilty too.
I’m not afraid anymore.


I won’t let that stop me,
from using my voice any longer.


It’s potentially the most powerful
thing we possess.