Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Trembling, She Forgave

 My heart, crushed by bitter ugliness,

who took the form of a familiar person.


A friend called him brother,

I called him stranger as his hands 

slithered where they didn't belong.


Forgiveness?

What could it be?

I tried to be friendly

as this joke backfired on me.


Crushed, and trying to gather myself,

making sense of the situation.

Too young to understand,

too young to consent

to such an atrocious act.


How to forgive?

How to forgive?


Time changes everything, 

through trauma 

and flashbacks.


I look at the past through a lens, 

as if it happened to another person.

Would I tell this child to forgive?


Never!

I would tell her to let 

time heal her wounds, 

but forgiveness is for 

the greatest of friends and family.