Thursday, August 10, 2017

All for a Band-Aid

If we met as children,
I'm shameless in wondering
how life would've been.

I do wish it was this way,
because mine would've been
undoubtedly kinder with you in it sooner.

You must've been incredibly encouraging.

I imagine a playground scenario-
on the pavement I've fallen,
destined to scrape my knee.

As I'm gruff to rise from my fallen state,
your hand is out in front of my face. . .

Unable to look to yours
or grab your hand in the moment
I hear your voice asking me,
"You aren't gonna cry are you?"

I glance at you, sighing a single
"No."

So you say to me,
"Good."

You, eager to ask
in so few words
if my knee is okay.

"Do you need a band-aid?"

We're so sickeningly sweet,
whether we met today
or on the teeter-totters-

nothing would stop you from
walking me to the nurse if I needed you.