Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Rest is History

All the emotions from that moment stay in my mind
as fresh as if they happened yesterday.

The dimly lit church gym,
the band playing loud
while my heart was being broken
by not one, but two.

It only takes one terrible action
to lose a lifelong friend,
we certainly were never the same again.

I never needed you;
the lover,
or the friend,
who longed for each other.

Yet I still cried the broken hearts cry full of all the
bitterness, sadness, anger and envy,
full as it could be.

I look back on the day April 15, 2003,

as the ultimate example of what love shouldn’t be
but lucky me, one year later on the same exact day
I came to see my husband to be.

Fifteen days later;

he never proposed,
but admitted that marriage was in the cards.

So here I am today,
in an amazing home with him,

and if love were a glass of wine
I’d be inebriated,
filling another to the brim.